Sunday, July 01, 2007

Went to my cousin Sandra's wedding; it was held at the Culinary Institute of America in upstate New York, over 2 hours from NYC. The place was quite spectacular; the evening ended with an amazing display of fireworks (pre-Fourth of July festivities).

But when i got home, a message from Norman Wang was waiting for me: Edward Yang has died. Really devastating news. Of all the major Chinese-language filmmakers, Edward Yang was the one most closely associated with the Asian-American International Film Festival. We showed "That Day on the Beach", "Taipei Story", "The Terrorizers" and "A Brighter Summer Day". In fact, we were the only people to show those films! But he had said that "Yi Yi" would be his last film, and he was right. Very sad.

1 Comments:

Blogger alsolikelife said...

I wrote a tribute on my blog: shooting.alsolikelife.com. He was an enormous influence on me when I was trying to figure out just what I cared about in cinema.

1:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home